I recently finished this smaller 8×10 original oil, and now, looking upon it, it takes me back to Taos NM. We really love that area. The cottonwoods, aspens, valleys, mountains in the background and its amazing cultural history … New Mexico truly is the “Land of Enchantment!”
Taos New Mexico in Summer
8×10 original oil painting
on linen panel
If your planning to visit the Taos area, here’s a short list of some great places to see!
• Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is 650 feet high and 1280 feet long with breathtaking views. It is easy to find on Route 64.
• Taos Pueblo This place has been inhabited for over 1000 years and is an UNESCO World Heritage site. A fabulous place to visit, shop, and talk with the local natives.
• Ski Valley Taos, New Mexico
• Lots of shopping and wonderful food on the main square.
• Taos High Country Loop, aka the “Enchanted Circle” … Arroyo Hondo, Arroyo Seco, Questa, Red River, Bobcat Pass, Eagle Nest, & Angel Fire
Here’s a few Plein Air spots for artists in the Taos area:
• San Francisco de Asis Church, 60 St Francis Plaza. Rancho de Taos, NM. Over 200 years old and one of the most photographed and painted churches in North America.
• Picuris Pueblo, 24 mi southeast of Taos
• Moreno Valley
• San Antonio del Rio Colorado, St Anthony’s Catholic Church, Questa NM
• Wild Rivers Rec Area near Questa NM
• La Junta Campground area
• Ghost Ranch, Tierra Amarilla NM (where Georgia O’Keeffe used to live)
• The White Place, Abiquiu NM (bumpy road)
• Christ in the Desert Road (Road #151) past Ghost Ranch take #151. 13 miles of great scenery, a monastery, & Chama River. Best with 4×4. Do not travel with heavy rain/heavy mud.
There’s so much to see! We can’t wait to go back to Taos!
All Rights Reserved
Categories: Oil Paintings