Texas Hill Country Bluebonnet Trails + Photo Tips
Some popular locations to look for bluebonnets
From Fredericksburg going East:
From Main Street take Hwy 290 East, along the wine tasting rooms to Wildseed Farms.
At Stonewall Texas visit LBJ Park, also on Hwy 290.
From Johnson City take Hwy 281 to Marble Falls, the lakes, & Burnet area.
From Fredericksburg going North:
Take Highway 16N, towards Llano. The hills and Enchanted Rock area is also pretty!
Willow City Loop off of Highway 16 North. Weekends will probably be busy on the popular Loop!
North of Llano to Llano airport, and San Saba.
Llano to Marble Falls
Lake Buchannon area
From Fredericksburg going west
Take Hwy 87 to Mason Texas (or swing through Doss, then to Mason).
The Mason loop, and Mason County to Llano usually produce pretty colors.
Signed prints are available for purchase at our Store.
Mason History & Bluebonnet Trails … read more
Wildflower Photography Tips:
– Scout locations during the mid-day harsh lighting, and return to the best spots at sunset or sunrise.
– Overcast days produce a very soft light or flat light, which work great for macro closeups, or wildflower clusters around granite rock lined creeks, or small waterfalls … just crop out the boring grey sky and zoom in more on your subjects.
– Know how to manipulate the light in your favor… try using light modifiers such as reflectors. Try a video light at an angle, or create a backlight halo effect on a closeup of a wildflower. A backlit butterfly on a flower is pretty too which can create near translucent wings.
– For wide-angle landscapes … use a TRIPOD, and shoot with a larger depth of field such as F22, for greater focus throughout the image (front to back).
– Take multiple exposures, & bracket +/- 1/3 stops.
– Shoot in RAW
– Have a lot of patience! Wait for the breeze to calm down & wait for the crowds to clear.
– Please remember that most property in the Texas is privately owned. Never cross fences without permission. Respect the landowners & leave their horses and cattle alone.
– Try not to walk through or drive on the flowers. Its frustrating to see all of those crushed spots.
– Always watch out for snakes!
For available artwork, please visit our store.
© Hill Country Images. Do not copy or create your own prints, even for personal use without first getting written permission from the artist.
All Rights Reserved